Monday 6 August 2012

hmmm..

My brain is racing right now, because i am excited by the thought of possibly purchasing some new photographic equipment this week!


The idea came into my head all thanks to an email from CamerasDirect on the GoldCoast QLD, advertising two lenses i have wanted for some time, that are now sitting at a very affordable price for me - as well as some ridiculous prices on a few other smaller items of interest.


I am about to come into some inheritance money, some back-pay from Centrelink and a possible tax return - for a change. So i think i might just go ahead and do it.


It's not really an impulse buy, more of a smart buy in a hurry before i miss out on a fantastic opportunity - like always. I have been patient and feel my patience has now paid off and is beckoning me to grab hold of it.


Those who know me, know i am not a greedy person. This is equipment that will allow me to shoot most assignments and basically complete my kit (as far as i'm concerned). It should also avoid me purchasing anything as substantial as this for quite some time. It will also ALL fit into my current camera bags.


After doing a lot of research into these lenses recently, i am confident that they have proven to be some of Canon's best performing, well built, highest quality, light-weight and affordable releases that should perform beyond my lifetime if i look after them. They will work perfectly on my current 'cropped sensor' camera body and will do even better still if i upgrade to a full frame camera body in the future. They will also sync perfectly and help compliment the Canon EOS 50E 35mm film camera body should i purchase one one day.


The f/4 17-40mm equates to a 27-64mm focal length on my 60D, which covers landscapes, group/environmental portraits, architecture and documentary work and is roughly the same as the commonly desirable 24-70mm that a lot of photographers use and love. The f/4 70-200mm equates to an impressive 112-320mm focal length, which covers portraiture, wildlife and landscapes. Add to this my 50mm (equating to an 80mm focal length) and you could say i have most areas covered :] Everyone tells me i "need f/2.8" - sorry folks but i disagree.


The fact i already own the ultra-wide Canon EF-S [non-pro] 10-22mm (16-35 equivalent) doesn't bother me too much either . It is a nice lens, i purchased it because i couldn't afford the 17-40mm back then, but i feel i shouldn't have too much problem selling it if i chose not to keep it in my bag. The ironic thing about all this is that the thing cost me more than what i can now purchase the 17-40mm [pro] lens for now - bugger!!.




The equipment in mind is as follows:
  • SanDisk 8GB SD memory card - $10.21 
  • (normally $53.90) 
  • Giottos lens cleaning kit - $14.47 
  • (normally $28.95)

So yeah, this might help exlain why i am so invigorated right now and can't settle myself off to sleep. The fact i also had a good nanna-nap this afternoon is also a factor. Oh well, good excuse to update my blog i guess :]



D.

No comments:

Post a Comment